The Resource Arlington County (Va.) Courts Martial Book, Military District of Alexandria, 1864-1865
- Arlington County (Va.) Courts Martial Book, Military District of Alexandria, 1864-1865
- Inclusive dates
- African Americans -- Virginia | Arlington County
- Arlington County (Va.)
- Freedmen. -- Virginia | Arlington County
- Courts martial and courts of inquiry -- United States
- United States
- Judicial records -- Virginia | Arlington County
- Orders (military records) -- Virginia | Arlington County
- United States
- Arlington County (Va.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Local government records -- Virginia | Arlington County
- Census records -- Virginia | Arlington County
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Arlington County (Va.) Courts Martial Book, Military District of Alexandria, 1864-1865, contains general orders convening the court martial, lists of the detail for the court, special orders appointing new or additional members, and then lists of the soldiers who appeared before the court. Information recorded for each soldier includes name, company, regiment, witnesses, summons sent to appear, date case commenced, date case finished, and date case sent to headquarters. The soldiers are all from Union or United States army units. Arrangement is by general order number which are in date order. There is no index
- Following the courts martial information is an incomplete [Census of the Black Population of Alexandria County], Surnames Q-Y and B only, 1865. Information recorded includes name, color (black, mulatto, quadroon, octoroon), sex (male, female), age (14 and under, under 20 over 14, under 50 over 20, under 70 over 50, over 70), status (slave, free), occupation (resident, laborer, mechanic, able to read, unable to read), and number of district. Following the lists of names are summaries and estimates by district numbers 1-8 and "outside city" of the numbers of persons in each of these categories. A statement at the end of the census reads "These persons live in the upper part of Alexandria County nearly all within four miles of the Freedmans Village. The detail engaged in taking the census were relieved before quite completing it, but made an estimate as accurately as possible and reported 250 names not taken. They have been classified by me in proportion [to] the summary of the census and added as above. These Returns embrace all of Alexandria County, Va, Freedmens Village Excepted. (sig) Henry E. Alvord, Superintendant."
- Biographical or historical data
- Arlington County was formed in 1789 from Fairfax County and was at that time named Alexandria County. The county was ceded to the federal government in 1801 and was part of the District of Columbia until 1846 when it was returned to the state of Virginia. Alexandria County changed its name in 1920 to Arlington County.
- In 1865, the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands ordered its superintendents to as soon as possible take a census of all colored people within their districts to aid bureau agents in their duties such as finding employment, discouraging vagrancy, handing out rations, and assisting people in returning to their former residences if so desired.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Arlington County (Va.) Courts Martial Book, Military District of Alexandria, 1864-1865
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Arlington County (Va.) Courts Martial Book, Military District of Alexandria, 1864-1865
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/AMgsgUc3JoA/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/AMgsgUc3JoA/">Arlington County (Va.) Courts Martial Book, Military District of Alexandria, 1864-1865</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...