The Resource Records of the Office of the President of James Madison University, 1951-2001
- Records of the Office of the President of James Madison University, 1951-2001
- Inclusive dates
- Rose, Linwood H
- James Madison University
- Carrier, Ronald E
- Files by subject
- State government records -- Virginia
- Agendas (administrative records)
- Universities and colleges -- Virginia
- Education, Higher -- Virginia
- Miller, G. Tyler, (George Tyler), 1902-1988
- State Council of Higher Education for Virginia
- Madison College
- Contains correspondence, subject files and reports created and collected by the Office of the Presidnet of James Madison University. The files relate mostly to the university departments, committees, faculty and university oversight groups (State Council of Higher Education for Virginia). Files in this collection also document the activities between the university and various state agencies such as the Office of the Governor, Secretary of Education and the Virginia Department of Education
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the James Madison University. (Search James Madison University as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- James Madison University is a public comprehensive university that offers bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees, with a primary focus on undergraduate studies. The university is located in Harrisonburg in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. It was established by the General Assembly in March 1908 as the State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Harrisonburg, with Julian Ashby Burruss as its first president. The school changed name to the State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg in 1914 and the school received authorization to grant bachelor's degrees in 1916. The school changed names several more times, to the State Teachers College at Harrisonburg in 1924 and then to Madison College in 1938 in honor of James Madison, fourth President of the United States. The college admitted men in 1946 and had it's final name change occured in 1977 when it adopted it's current name, James Madison University.
- Past Presidents include: Dr. G. Tyler Miller, 1949-1970; Dr. Ronald E. Carrier, 1971-1998; and Dr. Linwood H. Rose, 1998-present.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Records of the Office of the President of James Madison University, 1951-2001
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Records of the Office of the President of James Madison University, 1951-2001
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ATeRWniUi9Q/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ATeRWniUi9Q/">Records of the Office of the President of James Madison University, 1951-2001</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...