The Resource Lancaster County (Va.) Mantua Township Records, 1871-1876
- Lancaster County (Va.) Mantua Township Records, 1871-1876
- Inclusive dates
- County government. -- Records and correspondence -- Virginia | Lancaster County
- Accounts -- Virginia | Lancaster County
- Local government. -- Virginia | Lancaster County
- Lancaster County (Va.)
- Local finance -- Virginia | Lancaster County
- Township records -- Virginia | Lancaster County
- Public records -- Virginia | Lancaster County
- Minute books -- Virginia | Lancaster County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Lancaster County
- Lancaster County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Lancaster County (Va.) Mantua Township Records, 1871-1876, consist of one volume and several folders of papers relating to the administrative functions of the township boards of the county
- Mantua Township Book, 1871-1875, is a volume containing minutes and accounts on pages 3-27. Information recorded includes of the division of the township into road districts, purchasing of supplies for township officers, establishment of tax and levy rates, election results about establishing a levy to fund a public school, election results for road overseers, accounts allowed against the township, discussion of various roads and their condition, a list of persons belonging in road districts number one and four, establishment of rates allowable for road work claims, presentation of delinquent tax lists, and presentation of claims by the overseer of the poor. Pages 46-185 of this volume contain a circuit court chancery docket for 1886-1890 that record the names of counsel (lawyers), names of the parties, the action, pleas, and any orders in chancery
- Mantua Township papers, 1871-1876, consist of claims and accounts against the township, road overseer bonds, uncollected tax bills, delinquent and insolvent tax lists and vouchers, and road overseer election results
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Lancaster County was named for the English county. It was formed from Northumberland and York Counties in 1651.
- The 1870 Virginia Constitution required that each county in the state be divided into no less than three townships (see Article VII, section 2). Based on the New England administrative organization of a county, each township would elect the administration officials for the offices of supervisor, clerk, assessor, collector, commissioner of the roads, overseer of the poor, justice of the peace, and constable. The supervisors of each township would comprise the board of supervisors for the county, and would be responsible for auditing the county accounts, examining the assessors' books, regulating property valuation, and fixing the county levies. The Acts of Assembly provided that each township be divided into school and electoral districts (see Acts of Assembly 1869-1870, Chapter 39). A constitutional amendment in 1874 changed the townships into magisterial districts and each district elected one supervisor, three justices of the peace, one constable, and one overseer of the poor. The supervisors of the districts made up the county board of supervisors whose duties were identical as those set out in 1870. The published Acts of Assembly appended a list of township names by county following the acts for every year that townships existed in Virginia.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Lancaster County (Va.) Mantua Township Records, 1871-1876
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Lancaster County (Va.) Mantua Township Records, 1871-1876
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/AZin54YG7wY/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/AZin54YG7wY/">Lancaster County (Va.) Mantua Township Records, 1871-1876</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...