The Resource 1807 June 29
- 1807 June 29
- Inclusive dates
- 1807 June 29
- Public meetings. -- Virginia | Manchester
- Manchester (Va.) -- History -- 1801-1809
- United States -- History -- 1801-1809
- Personal papers -- Virginia | Richmond
- United States
- Jefferson, Thomas, 1743-1826
- Richmond (Va.) -- History -- 1801-1809
- Virginia -- History -- 1801-1809
- Letters (correspondence)
- Public meetings. -- Virginia | Richmond
- Chesapeake-Leopard Affair, 1807
- Letter, 29 June 1807, from Alexander McRae (1768-1840) of Richmond, Virginia, to the commandant of the 19th Regiment, City of Richmond enclosing preamble, resolutions, and address to the President of the United States, adopted at a meeting of the citizens of Richmond, Manchester, and their vicinities, held at the Capitol, 27 June 1807. The preamble, resolutions, and address express outrage at the CHESAPEAKE-LEOPARD Affair. McRae was the chairman of the corresponding committee. Judge Spencer Roane (1762-1822) was the chairman of the meeting and Thomas Ritchie (1778-1854), editor of the Richmond ENQUIRER, was secretary
- Biographical or historical data
- Alexander McRae was born in 1768 in Surry County, Virginia. From 1794 to 1796, McRae represented Dinwiddie County in the House of Delegates and later served as President of the Council of State. He was the prosecuting attorney in the Aaron Burr trial and the American Consul in Paris from 1810 to 1811. In 1818, President Monroe appointed him Consul to Amsterdam, but McRae declined the appointment. He went to Europe in 1823 as a secret agent to report on European affairs and although his appointment ended in 1824, he never returned to the United States. McRae died in London, England on 14 December 1840.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Location of originals duplicates
- Valentine Museum, Richmond, Virginia.
ContextContext of 1807 June 29
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1807 June 29
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/AfrWRmVmMZA/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/AfrWRmVmMZA/">1807 June 29</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...