The Resource Letter of H.R. McIlwaine, 1933 Nov. 3
- Letter of H.R. McIlwaine, 1933 Nov. 3
- Inclusive dates
- 1933 Nov. 3
- Louisa County (Va.) -- Genealogy | Sources
- Amelia County (Va.) -- Genealogy | Sources
- State libraries -- Virginia | Richmond
- State government records -- Virginia
- Henrico County (Va.) -- Genealogy | Sources
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute
- Public libraries -- Virginia
- Universities and colleges -- Virginia
- Letters (correspondence)
- Libraries -- Virginia
- Charlotte County (Va.) -- Genealogy | Sources
- Virginia State Library
- Contains a letter from H.R. McIlwaine, State Librarian, to Dr. J.E. Williams, Virginia Polytechic Institute, regarding resources at the State Library for Henrico, Charlotte, Amelia, & Louisa counties
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Library of Virginia. (Search Library of Virginia as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- Henry Read McIlwaine was born 12 July 1864 in Prince Edward County, Virginia. He graduated with an A.B. from Hampden-Sydney College in 1885 and with a Ph.D. from Johns Hopkins University in 1893. McIlwaine taught in private schools for a few years before returning to Hampden-Sidney College to serve as professor of English and history. In 1907, he was appointed State Librarian for the Virginia State Library, which position he held until his death. In January 1919, Governor Westmoreland Davis appointed McIlwaine to the Virginia War History Commission where he held several positions including secretary of the Executive Committee, treasurer, and chairman of the War Letters, Diaries and Incidents section. Unmarried, he died 16 March 1934 in Richmond, Virginia, and was buried in Blandford Cemetery in Petersburg.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Letter of H.R. McIlwaine, 1933 Nov. 3
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Letter of H.R. McIlwaine, 1933 Nov. 3
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/AllRqDTaups/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/AllRqDTaups/">Letter of H.R. McIlwaine, 1933 Nov. 3</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...