The Resource House of Delegates seating chart, 1857-1858
- House of Delegates seating chart, 1857-1858
- Inclusive dates
- Large seating chart and floor plan of the House of Delegates chambers during the 1857-1858 legislative session. The chart includes the name and seat assignment of each delegate as well as the county or city of representation
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia General Assembly, House of Delegates. (Search author as Virginia General Assembly, House of Delegates).
- Biographical or historical data
- The House of Delegates' predecessor, the House of Burgesses, was modeled after the House of Commons, in Parliament. The House of Burgesses existed from 1643 to 1776. The first session of the General Assembly, which took place in 1776, established the first constitution and made the House of Delegates the most powerful branch in state government. It was not until the constitution of 1851 was adopted that a more equitable balance among the branches of government was established. In the General Assembly, members of the House of Delegates and the Senate vote on legislation entered during the legislative session. Legislative bills can originate either in the House of Delegates or in the Senate, with both chambers having the ability to establish study committees. Each serves as a check upon the other to ensure a thorough debate on the merits of each bill. The House of Delegates, together with the Senate, meets as the General Assembly in annual sessions. Currently there are 100 members of the House of Delegates, each representing a voting district in the Commonwealth.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of House of Delegates seating chart, 1857-1858
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work House of Delegates seating chart, 1857-1858
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/BGfOWd-R-50/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/BGfOWd-R-50/">House of Delegates seating chart, 1857-1858</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...