The Resource Alterations and Additions [Virginia] State Library Building, 1929.
- Alterations and Additions [Virginia] State Library Building, 1929.
- Inclusive dates
- Architecture -- Virginia | Richmond -- 20th century
- Carneal, Johnston, & Wright (Richmond, Va.)
- Blueprints -- Virginia | Richmond
- Richmond (Va.) -- Buildings, structures, etc
- Virginia State Library
- Architectural drawings -- Virginia | Richmond
- Baskervill & Lambert (Richmond, Va.)
- Library buildings -- Virginia | Richmond -- Designs and plans
- This accession consists of seven linen architectural drawings depicting modifications to the building in Capitol Square (formerly the Old Finance Building, now known as the Oliver Hill Building) that housed the Virginia State Library from 1895 to 1940. The changes designed by Carneal, Johnston & Wright altered the front facade of the building in an effort to harmonize it with the Virginia State Capitol. Accordingly, Palladian and circular windows on either wing were removed in favor of square sash-type windows, terra cotta decoration was removed from the corner niches in favor of brick and marble, the ground floor arcade was enclosed for office space, and the roof baulustrade was replaced with a parapet treatment
- Also included with these drawings are blueprint copies of drawings for previous alterations executed by Baskervill & Lambert. These blueprints depict the 1920 Archival Building and the 1928 Annex to the Archival Building added on to the state library. Presumably, Carneal, Johnston & Wright utilized the work of their predecessors to inform their design
- Cataloging source
- Location of originals duplicates
- See LVA accession 36614 for duplicate and additional sheets by Carneal, Johnson, & Wright.
- See LVA accessions 41349 and 41364 for duplicate drawings by Baskervill & Lambert.
ContextContext of Alterations and Additions [Virginia] State Library Building, 1929.
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Alterations and Additions [Virginia] State Library Building, 1929.
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/BLrl2FYC72w/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/BLrl2FYC72w/">Alterations and Additions [Virginia] State Library Building, 1929.</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...