The Resource Charles Edgar Gilliam papers, 1940-1966
- Charles Edgar Gilliam papers, 1940-1966
- Inclusive dates
- Petersburg (Va.) -- Social life and customs -- 18th century
- Powhatan Indians -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775
- Personal papers
- Petersburg (Va.) -- History -- 17th century
- Gilliam, Charles Edgar, 1894-1976
- Petersburg (Va.) -- History -- 18th century
- Petersburg (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Papers, 1940-1966, of Charles Edgar Gilliam (1894-1976), consist chiefly of scrapbooks, 1940-1943, featuring newspaper columns written by Charles Edgar Gilliam. The bulk of the clippings are of two columns written for the SOUTHSIDE VIRGINIA NEWS and Richmond TIMES-DISPATCH. The columns are entitled "Falls of Appomattox Sketches," and "1800-Cockade City-1825 Miscellany." Also included are several maps, hand-drawn or hand-traced by Gilliam in 1949 and 1965-1966, showing the former location of various Indian tribes of the Powhatan Confederacy
- Biographical or historical data
- Charles Edgar Gilliam was born 30 May 1894 in Petersburg, Virginia. He received a bachelor's degree from the University of Virginia in 1915. Gilliam served as a second lieutenant in the Army Air Corps in France during World War I. He attended law school at the University of Virginia from 1920-1921, when he was admitted to the Virginia Bar. Gilliam was appointed U.S. Magistrate in 1938. Apart from his legal career Gilliam was known as a local historian and authority on the Powhatan Confederacy. He died 28 January 1976 in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Charles Edgar Gilliam papers, 1940-1966
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Charles Edgar Gilliam papers, 1940-1966
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/BRuh2eMHqhI/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/BRuh2eMHqhI/">Charles Edgar Gilliam papers, 1940-1966</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...