The Resource Billups Funeral Home records, 1880-1983.
- Billups Funeral Home records, 1880-1983.
- Inclusive dates
- Receipts (financial records)
- Undertakers and undertaking. -- Virginia | Richmond
- Billups Funeral Home (Richmond, Va.)
- Letters (correspondence)
- Death certificates
- Billups, Charles Jackson, 1863-1942
- Account books
- Business records -- Virginia | Richmond
- Funeral homes -- Virginia | Richmond
- Records, 1880-1983, of the Billups Funeral Home in Richmond, Virginia. Includes records of funerals, as well as account, cash, sales, bank, and order books
- The majority of the collection are volumes containing records of funerals, covering the period 27 May 1904 to November 1983. They are arranged chronologically. The earliest volumes (1904 to 1929) contain indexes at the begininning. They include some or all of the following information: name of deceased, age, dates of birth and death, cause of death, name of attending physician, place of death; casket information, including price, style, size, trimmings, and inscription; charges for services, including embalming, casket, flowers, death notices, and to whom the expenses were charged; body description; place of burial, including cemetery name, location and diagram of gravesite, single or lot, and price; shipping information if the body was sent elsewhere or had come from another location to Richmond, including the name of the depot, and from or where the body was arriving or to be sent; funeral information, such as the date, time, and place, officiating minister, and special instructions; hack/automobile call information, including time, addresses, and names of individuals to be picked up; and survivors' names and addresses
- The records of funerals also contain loose papers, such as clippings, handwritten obituaries, memoranda and notes, invoices, accounts, and receipts, lists, telegrams, correspondence, death certificates, and prices of graves at local cemeteries
- This collection also includes order books, 1880-1887, 1894-1897, and 1903-1911, containing the date, name of individual ordering services, place of funeral service and burial, and any transportation requested. There are also cash and sales ledgers, 1893-1894 and 1936-1940, containing debtor's name, name of deceased, debits, credits, and balances. There are bank books, 1922-1928 and 1934-1936, of Charles J. Billups showing date, deposits, withdrawals, and balances with the Church Hill Bank and State Planters Bank and Trust Company. There is a message book, 1897-1898, containing the date, person calling, and message left. Also included are miscellaneous accounts, 1893, mainly involving the estate of Lafayette Washington Billups
- Biographical or historical data
- Lafayette Washington Billups was a cabinetmaker from Mathews County, Virginia. He moved to Richmond, and 1850 he started the L.W. Billups Funeral Home on Main Street. His son Charles joined him in the business and the name of the home became L.W. Billups and Son. The business was moved to its current location at 25th and Marshall Streets in 1915. The building was expanded in 1928. Charles' sons Morton George Billups and Stuart Lee Billups joined their father in the company. Morton's daughter Ruth Anne Billups married Edward Barden. They both attended Eckels College at Temple University and now operate the funeral home.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Billups Funeral Home records, 1880-1983.
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Billups Funeral Home records, 1880-1983.
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Bt_cYdtL6zc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Bt_cYdtL6zc/">Billups Funeral Home records, 1880-1983.</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...