The Resource 1872-1874
- Inclusive dates
- Iron-works -- Virginia | Wythe County
- Iron industry and trade -- Virginia | Wythe County
- Business records -- Virginia | Wythe County
- Mount Hope Furnace (Wythe County, Va.)
- Ledgers (account books) -- Virginia | Wythe County
- Wythe County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Wythe County (Va.) -- Industries
- Wythe Furnace (Wythe County, Va.)
- Stores -- Virginia | Wythe County
- Daybook, 1872-1873, for Mount Hope Furnace's store; and daybook, 1872-1874, for Wythe Furnace's store. Both stores provided furnace employees with mercantile goods. Chronological list notes employee's name, item purchased, amount charged, and the date
- Biographical or historical data
- Located on Francis Mill Creek in Wythe County, Virginia, Wythe Furnace or Little Wythe Furnace previously was known as Stephens or Porter Furnace. Furnace operation developed about 1807 under the direction of Henry Stephens. In 1814 William King purchased the furnace from Stephens and Thompson Carter. Other owners included members of the Porter family, namely Andrew, George K., Samuel E., and Allen Porter, who operated the furnace during the 1840's and 1850's. During 1861 and 1862, Green and Company operated the furnace. After 1862 the furnace was not in blast again until 1873 when it was operated by Sayers, Oglesby & Company. Having purchased the dilapidated furnace in 1872, Robert Sayers, Jr. rebuilt it into a twenty-five by eighty foot monstrosity capable of producing 3000 tons of pig iron annually. In 1886 the property again was sold but the date of the furnaces last blast is unknown.
- Mount Hope Furnace's location in Wythe County has yet to be determined; although, speculation suggests it was at the Wythe Furnace. It was operated by John W. Green during the Civil War and provided iron for the Confederacy. Little is known of its use before or following the Civil War.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Location of originals duplicates
- Originals are located at the Haller-Gibboney Rock House Museum in Wytheville, Virginia.
ContextContext of 1872-1874
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1872-1874
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/C14iRZ-LEUA/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/C14iRZ-LEUA/">1872-1874</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...