The Resource Reports of the distributors of the direct tax fund, 1892-1897
- Reports of the distributors of the direct tax fund, 1892-1897
- Inclusive dates
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Administration of State Government: Revenue Assessment and Collection - Direct Tax
- Volumes contain reports from distributors that list the taxpayers by name, amounts due them, and commissions due the distributors. Included are tax receipt numbers, amounts, and dates paid. Volume covers the following dates: December 1892 - March 1897
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) (Search as Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928))
- Biographical or historical data
- On 5 August 1861 the United States Congress passed an act levying a direct tax on landowners to raise $20,000,000 for Civil War expenses. Operation of the act was suspended on 1 July 1862, after about $15,000,000 was raised. On 2 March 1891 the U.S. Congrss passed an act to return this money to the states, and the General Assembly authorized acceptance of the money on 15 December 1891.
- On 3 March 1892 the General Assembly passed an act authorizing the return of money collected by direct tax in 1861 to the persons who had paid it. The act provided for local distributors of the tax in each locality and required periodic reports on the distribution of the money. The distributors were required to post bonds, compile lists of taxpayers, and maintain accounts of the distributions.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 446
- Citation source
- Auditor of Public Accounts inventory
ContextContext of Reports of the distributors of the direct tax fund, 1892-1897
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Reports of the distributors of the direct tax fund, 1892-1897
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/CE_blTOQ_mw/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/CE_blTOQ_mw/">Reports of the distributors of the direct tax fund, 1892-1897</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...