The Resource 1774-1861
- Inclusive dates
- Upper King and Queen Baptist Church (King and Queen County, Va.)
- Church facilities -- Planning
- King and Queen County (Va.) -- Church history -- 18th century
- Minute books
- Architectural records
- Financial records
- King and Queen County (Va.) -- Church history -- 19th century
- Church records -- Virginia | King and Queen County
- Church architecture -- Details
- Church architecture -- Designs and plans
- Baptists -- Virginia | King and Queen County
- These records include three minute books and building specifications for a meetinghouse. The first volume of minutes covers the period from December 1774 to February 1816. Reference to these records appears in the BULLETIN OF THE KING AND QUEEN HISTORICAL SOCIETY, no. 13 (July 1962). Membership lists appear on pages 1-11, and 189-213. This volume is also available on Miscellaneous reel 472 (Accession 27196)
- The second volume of minutes covers the period from March 1816 to 16 July 1836. The first forty-two pages contain a "journal," membership lists, and rules. In the body of the minutes are financial accounts and names of candidates for baptism and new members. Letters of dismissal are requested in the 1830's for members moving to Tennessee and Alabama. Membership lists appear on pages 5-24 (1775-1834) and 25-36 (Accession 27197)
- The third volume of minutes covers the period from 20 August 1836 to 14 April 1855. They are quite full. Membership lists appear on pages 10-29 (dates from 1775 to 1855) and 30-45 (Accession 27198)
- Also included in these records are specifications for a meetinghouse to be built, dated 1861. The specifications contain written descriptions of the structure, detailing layout, dimensions, and materials. In addition, there is a list of timber used, quantity, size, and price (Accession 34548)
- Additional physical form
- also available on microfilm (Misc. Reel 472).
- Biographical or historical data
- Organized on 17 August 1774 from the United Baptist Church of Essex County. By 1813 there were 500 members. Robert B. Semple, an early Baptist historian, was pastor of the church from 1813 to 1827.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
ContextContext of 1774-1861
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1774-1861
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/CPW4aBVI7Zw/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/CPW4aBVI7Zw/">1774-1861</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...