The Resource Agency history of the Virginia Superintendent of Public Buildings
- Agency history of the Virginia Superintendent of Public Buildings
- The record of the Superintendent of Public Buildings are part of the Virginia Land Office. Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Land Office (Search Virginia Land Office as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- An act of the General Assembly, approved February 28, 1874, and amended April 29, 1874, assigned the responsibilities of the Superintendent of Public Buildings to the Register of the Land Office. Working under the direction and control of the governor, the duties were to keep a record of all the real property known or ascertained to be the property of the commonwealth, including capitol square, the state courthouse, penitentiary, armory grounds, public warehouses, state cattle pens, etc.
- Other duties included monitoring state contracts and leases relating to the properties, and collecting fees and dues for deposit into the public treasury. For these additional duties, the Register was paid an additional $300 per year.
- An act of the General Assembly, approved March 20, 1924, decreed that when the next vacancy of the position of Register of the Land Office occurred, the office was to be abolished, and its duties transferred to the Superintendent of State Office Buildings, who would assume the title, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds.
- The records in this series are limited to the period when the Register of the Land Office was acting in the additional capacity of Superintendent of Public Buildings, from 1874-1924.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Agency history of the Virginia Superintendent of Public Buildings
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Agency history of the Virginia Superintendent of Public Buildings
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/CiUYoeBxR9w/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/CiUYoeBxR9w/">Agency history of the Virginia Superintendent of Public Buildings</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...