The Resource Smith family letters, 1863 Mar. 31
- Smith family letters, 1863 Mar. 31
- Inclusive dates
- 1863 Mar. 31
- Baseball. -- Virginia | Stafford County
- Personal papers
- Soldiers. -- Delaware
- Confederate States of America
- United States
- Smith, Thomas D. G, b. ca. 1846
- Fredericksburg (Va.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Delaware -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Smith family
- Smith, Sarah A, b. ca. 1817
- Smith, William F, ca. 1840-1864
- Letters (correspondence)
- Horseshoe pitching. -- Virginia | Stafford County
- United States
- United States -- Military life
- Letters, 31 March 1863, from Thomas D. G. Smith (b. ca. 1846), Company D, and William F. Smith (ca. 1840-1864), Company C, 1st Delaware Infantry, to their mother Sarah A. Smith (b. ca. 1817) of Dover, Delaware, concerning military life and army movements. Thomas' letter mentions playing ball and horseshoes
- Biographical or historical data
- William F. Smith enlisted as 2nd lieutenant in Company D, 1st Delaware Infantry and was promoted to 1st lieutenant 1 November 1861. He was promoted to captain of Company C, 1st Delaware, 21 August 1862. William was wounded at the battle of Fredericksburg and was noted for bravery at the battle of Chancellorsville. He led a charge to capture a Confederate battery at the battle of Bristoe Station. William was promoted to major 6 November 1863. During the siege of Petersburg, William was wounded in fighting along the Boydton Plank Road and died of those wounds 11 November 1864.
- Thomas D. G. Smith enlisted as a private in Company D, 1st Delaware Infantry. He was wounded at the battle of Chancellorsville and noted for bravery. Thomas was promoted to 1st lieutenant 31 May 1865.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Smith family letters, 1863 Mar. 31
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Smith family letters, 1863 Mar. 31
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/CmP1UFom0fc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/CmP1UFom0fc/">Smith family letters, 1863 Mar. 31</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...