The Resource Richmond Light Infantry Blues by-laws and roll of members, 1840
- Richmond Light Infantry Blues by-laws and roll of members, 1840
- Inclusive dates
- By-laws and roll of members, 1840, of the Richmond Light Infantry Blues. Includes manuscript notations of amendments made to various sections. The membership roll lists name of member, date elected, and date resigned
- Biographical or historical data
- While the years have clouded the actual date of the Richmond Light Infanty Blues' origin, there is evidence that the first company existed in 1788, perhaps earlier, but was not commissioned. In 1789, it won official standing, when Captain William Richardson was chosen its commanding officer. On May 10, 1793, officers were commissioned, and that date for a century has popularly been supposed to be that of the organization of the original company. General William H. Richardson, one-time adjutant-general of Virginia, is credited with fixing May 10, 1789, as the date of its founding. In 1876, when the company separated from the First Virginia Regiment, it was granted a charter by the Legislature as an independent infantry organization. The charter also provided for the creation of the Richmond Light Infantry Blues Association. For a century and a half, the Blues have taken part in practically every public patriotic demonstration and reception of distinguished visitors that has occurred in Richmond. In 1808, the Blues were known as the "Light Infantry Company" of a battalion of the Nineteenth Regiment of Militia. The first active service seen by the Blues was in 1807, when the British captured an American frigate almost within the Virginia Capes, and again when they went to the front in the War of 1812. The Blues went with the earliest of the troops sent to the Potomac River when the War Between the States broke out, and remained there for several months, when it was assigned to Wise's Legion, afterward called Wise's Brigade.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Richmond Light Infantry Blues by-laws and roll of members, 1840
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Richmond Light Infantry Blues by-laws and roll of members, 1840
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/D--sqKZO0u0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/D--sqKZO0u0/">Richmond Light Infantry Blues by-laws and roll of members, 1840</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...