The Resource Richmond Grays : a brief sketch of this time honored organization
- Richmond Grays : a brief sketch of this time honored organization
- Title remainder
- a brief sketch of this time honored organization
- An undated essay by E. Leslie Spence (1841-1907) of Richmond, Virginia, outlining the history of the Richmond Grays, a militia unit, from its founding in 1844 to 1889. Includes the unit's history in the Mexian War and the Civil War
- Biographical or historical data
- E. Leslie Spence was born November 1841 in Richmond, Virginia. He had entered his father's business when the Civil War began, and he enlisted in the Richmond Grays 19 April 1861. Twice wounded, Spence split his service between Company G, 12th Virginia Infantry, the General Court Martial Board of the Henrico district, the Virginia State Reserves, and the Quartermaster's Department. In 1871, he helped reorganize the Richmond Grays, and marched with the company in both Ulysses S. Grant's funeral and Grover Cleveland's first presidential inauguration. He was elected captain of the Grays, but later resigned due to pressing business concerns. Spence later was elected captain of Company E, 1st Virginia Regiment. Joining the general staff, he eventually rose to the rank of colonel. Spence served as commander of the Robert E. Lee Camp of the United Confederate Veterans. He was the general manager of the Mutual Investment Association and an insurance business. Married three times, Spence died 24 October 1907.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Richmond Grays : a brief sketch of this time honored organization
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Richmond Grays : a brief sketch of this time honored organization
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/DWXbYdbpYmQ/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/DWXbYdbpYmQ/">Richmond Grays : a brief sketch of this time honored organization</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...