The Resource 1845-1865
- Inclusive dates
- Jones, William E., (William Edmondson), 1824-1864
- Personal papers
- Confederate States of America -- Officers. | Correspondence
- Letters (correspondence)
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Papers, 1845-1865, of William E. "Grumble" Jones, of Washington County, Virginia. Includes correspondence, photographs, orders, receipts, and copies of Jones military service record. Includes transcripts of some of the correspondence and an inventory of the collection
- Biographical or historical data
- William Edmondson "Grumble" Jones was born 9 May 1824 in Washington County, Virginia, the son of Robert Jones. He attended Emory and Henry College and graduated from West Point in 1848. Jones then spent three years in Oregon as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Mounted Rifle Unit. On 13 January 1852 he married Eliza M. Dunn of Washington County, Virginia. She drowned two months later during a boat transfer to his new post at Pass Cavallo, Texas. In 1857 Jones resigned his army commission, travelled to Europe, and returned to Glade Spring, Washington County, where he planted extensive vineyards on his estate. After the secession he organized the Washington Mountain Rifles which he led as captain at Manassas. Jones subsequently promoted to colonel and commanded the 1st and 7th Virginia Cavalry before his second promotion to brigadier general on 19 September 1862. He was killed at the Battle of Piedmont on 5 June 1864 and was buried in Old Glade Spring churchyard in Washington County.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Location of originals duplicates
- Originals owned by Cecil W. Anderson.
ContextContext of 1845-1865
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1845-1865
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/DkNpGbuKFuQ/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/DkNpGbuKFuQ/">1845-1865</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...