The Resource Public foundry at Westham, : accounts, 1781-1792
- Public foundry at Westham, : accounts, 1781-1792
- Title remainder
- Inclusive dates
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Administration of State Government: State-Owned Property. Industries
- The records in this series concern the settlement of revolutionary war accounts. Of particular note are references to blacks employed at the foundry. Records cover the following dates: 1781-1784, 1786, and 1791-1792
- Agency history record (0008-25560) describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) (Search as a/Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928))
- Biographical or historical data
- On May 22, 1776, the fifth revolutionary convention approved a proposal to construct a cannon foundry and blast furnace for the manufacture of ordnance. A site at Westham, near Richmond, was purchased and construction began immediately. When it was completed, the foundry complex included eight blast furnaces, a boring mill, and the foundry, besides all the buildings necessary to house workers and store supplies. The buildings were burned by Lieutenant Colonel John Graves Simcoe and his troops ;on 5 January 1781 in conjunction with Benedict Arnold's raid on Richmond. The foundry never recovered and operations ceased.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Public foundry at Westham, : accounts, 1781-1792
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Public foundry at Westham, : accounts, 1781-1792
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Dr2XIrNG_UU/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Dr2XIrNG_UU/">Public foundry at Westham, : accounts, 1781-1792</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...