The Resource Commission of William L. Clarke from Governor James McDowell, 1845 July 25
- Commission of William L. Clarke from Governor James McDowell, 1845 July 25
- Inclusive dates
- 1845 July 25
- Commission, dated 1845 July 25, appointing William L. Clarke as surveyor for Fluvanna County. Commission is signed by Governor James McDowell
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Governor's Office. (Search Virginia Governor's Office as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- James McDowell was born at Cherry Grove in Rockbridge County on 11 October 1795. McDowell was the third child of Colonel James and Sarah Preston McDowell. He attended Washington College, Yale College, and was graduated at Princeton College in 1817. McDowell represented Rockbridge County in the House of Delegates from the Session of 1830-1831 to the Session of 1834-1835, and returned for the Session of 1838. McDowell supported both the gradual abolition of slavery after Nat Turner’s Insurrection and President Andrew Jackson’s proclamation against South Carolina during the Nullification Crisis. A renowned orator, McDowell was elected to a three-year term as governor of Virginia serving from 1 January 1843 to 1 January 1846. Following his governorship, McDowell was elected to the Twenty-Ninth Congress to supply the vacancy occasioned by the death of William Taylor. McDowell was reelected to the Thirtieth & Thirty-First Congresses serving until 3 March 1851. McDowell died shortly thereafter at his estate of Col Alto in Lexington, Virginia, on 24 August 1854. McDowell married Susan Preston, daughter of General Francis Preston & Sarah B. Campbell, and had nine children. McDowell County, West Virginia, was named in his honor in 1858.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Commission of William L. Clarke from Governor James McDowell, 1845 July 25
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Commission of William L. Clarke from Governor James McDowell, 1845 July 25
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/DuSlwgxp2_g/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/DuSlwgxp2_g/">Commission of William L. Clarke from Governor James McDowell, 1845 July 25</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...