The Resource Confederate pension reports, 1888-1922
- Confederate pension reports, 1888-1922
- Inclusive dates
- War widows -- Virginia
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Veterans | Registers
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Pensions
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Virginia -- Registers
- Veterans -- Confederate States of America -- Registers
- State government records -- Virginia
- Registers (lists)
- Military pensions -- Virginia -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- The Confederate Pension Reports consist of four boxes and are organized into two series. Series have been designated for Confederate Pension Reports of 1888-1908 and Confederate Pension Reports of 1922. These records document pensions issued to Confederate War veterans and their widows between 1888 and 1922. Note that this information duplicates some of the information contained on the Confederate Pension Rolls (See Confederate Pension Rolls, Veterans and Widows database at the Library of Virginia website). Also note that these reports do not contain information related to the amount of the pension
- The Confederate Pension Reports of 1888-1908 are housed in two archival boxes and are arranged alphabetically by locality, then in order by the act of the General Assembly (e.g. Act of 1888, 1900, & 1902-1908). These reports provide the name of the soldier, company, regiment, service (infantry, artillery, cavalry, etc.), and remarks (e.g. died, wounded, disabled, killed, widow, etc.). The reports often include the date of death, cause of death, length of service, and battle where veteran was wounded or killed. It is unclear who prepared these reports, but they were probably created by the Dept. of Confederate Military Veterans between 1904 & 1918 from information gleaned from the Confederate Pension Rolls
- The Confederate Pension Reports of 1922 are housed in two oversized archival boxes and are arranged alphabetically by locality. The reports were submitted by commissioners of the revenue from various localities to the auditor of public accounts of all living Confederate veterans, their wives, or widows in compliance with the Act of the General Assembly approved on 15 March 1922. The reports include the following information: name of veteran, age, date of marriage, address, value of real estate, value of personal property, annual income, organization of service, rank of service, & period of service
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Dept. of Accounts. (Search Virginia Dept. of Accounts as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- After the end of Reconstruction the General Assembly began to financially assist Virginia Confederate Civil War veterans and their families. An act passed on 5 March 1888 provided pensions for soldiers disabled during the war and for widows of soldiers killed in the war. On 7 March 1900 pension benefits were extended to widows whose husbands had died during or after the war from wounds. An act passed on 2 April 1902 included widows whose husbands had died from diseases contracted during the war. The auditor of public accounts maintained registers of pensioners and kept accounts of pension payments. An act passed by the General Assembly on 20 March 1920 required commissioners of the revenue in each locality to report to the auditor of public accounts the names and addresses of Confederate army and navy veterans living in their districts. On 1 March 1928 the Office of the Comptroller in the Department of Accounts assumed the functions of the auditor with regard to pensions.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Confederate pension reports, 1888-1922
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Confederate pension reports, 1888-1922
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/E6K1kR3NuzE/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/E6K1kR3NuzE/">Confederate pension reports, 1888-1922</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...