The Resource Monroe county, : surveyed and drawn under the direction of John Wood 1821
- Monroe county, : surveyed and drawn under the direction of John Wood 1821
- Title remainder
- surveyed and drawn under the direction of John Wood 1821
- One in the series of county maps preliminary to Boye's nine-sheet map of Virginia, published in 1827
- Relief shown pictorially
- Pen and ink, watercolor
- Shows water systems, mountains, islands, roads, ferries, mills, towns, and some houses and owners
- John Wood was contracted with by Governor Wilson C. Nicholas in 1816 to carry out surveys of Virginia's counties and to prepare from these surveys a map of the state. At this time, Monroe County was in Virginia. The maps, "designed for the use of the Executive," were directed to be deposited in the office of the secretary of the board of public works, to "be at all times open to the access of the Executive, or of any member of the General Assembly." (29 Va. Acts 1816-1817) When Wood died in 1822, Herman Boye completed the project, which resulted in the state map published in 1827. It was corrected by Lewis von Buchholtz in the edition of 1859
- Scale 1:63,360.
- 106.4 x 161.4 cm.
- 1 map
- In 4 pieces.
- Additional information: survey of linens of Monroe County with courses, distances in poles, and observations. Red linens indicate roads and paths.
- Also negative photostatic copy of map, in 8 parts, actual size.
- Other physical details
- ms. col., dissected in 4 pieces and mounted on linen
- Physical medium
- Specific material designation
ContextContext of Monroe county, : surveyed and drawn under the direction of John Wood 1821
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Instance Monroe county, : surveyed and drawn under the direction of John Wood 1821
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ECqrsPO8mTY/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Instance"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ECqrsPO8mTY/">Monroe county, : surveyed and drawn under the direction of John Wood 1821</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...