The Resource Letters sent from the Virginia Land Office, 1795-1924
- Letters sent from the Virginia Land Office, 1795-1924
- Inclusive dates
- These records include drafts and copies of letters, most of which concern routine business affairs for which there is no incoming correspondence on file
- Included among these drafts are several important procedural statements. In November 1795, the register William Price directed two letters to the House of Delegates explaining certain irregularities in procedure and seeking relief. Also included are drafts of several depositions which Price gave in land disputes tried before county courts. A draft of a report for the governor contains a policy statement and is dated May 14, 1807. The records include a letter from John Mercer Brockenbrough, the land register, to West Virginia Governor Henry M. Mathews, offering him the opportunity to secure the records of all the original titles to the lands of West Virginia. A series of letters from 1922-1924, signed by register John W. Richardson, concern the acquisition of various items for the land office. Other records address copies of warrants and grants made for members of the public
- The register annually reported to the auditor those grants which had been issued within the preceding calendar year. Copies of those reports for the years 1906, 1908-1916, and 1919-1923, as well as slips noting that the reports for 1917 and 1918 had been sent to the auditor are in this file. The period covered for this material 1795-1796; 1801; 1803; 1805; 1807; 1812; 1832; 1847-1848; 1851; 1880; 1922-1924, undated
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Land Office (Search Virginia Land Office as author).
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 19
- Citation source
- Land Office Inventory
ContextContext of Letters sent from the Virginia Land Office, 1795-1924
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Letters sent from the Virginia Land Office, 1795-1924
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/EJOtw6syeZY/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/EJOtw6syeZY/">Letters sent from the Virginia Land Office, 1795-1924</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...