The Resource Letter, 1778 Jan. 2
- Letter, 1778 Jan. 2
- Inclusive dates
- 1778 Jan. 2
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- Campaigns
- Virginia -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Henry, Patrick, 1736-1799
- Personal papers -- Virginia | Williamsburg
- Letters (correspondence)
- Governors -- Virginia -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Clark, George Rogers, 1752-1818
- Clark's Expedition to the Illinois, 1778-1779
- Letter, 2 January 1778, from Governor Patrick Henry(1736-1799) of Virginia to Lieutenant Colonel George Rogers Clark (1752-1818) ordering him to raise seven companies of soldiers and attack the British post at Kaskaskia (Illinois). Henry gives instructions for transportation, pay, treatment of British subjects, and procurement of ammunition. The letter is printed in the OFFICIAL LETTERS OF THE GOVERNORS OF THE STATE OF VIRGINIA vol. 1, pp. 223-224, and a facsimile is printed in William Hayden English, CONQUEST OF THE COUNTRY NORTHWEST OF THE RIVER OHIO 1778-1783 vol. 1, p. 96
- Biographical or historical data
- Patrick Henry was born 29 May 1736 in Hanover County, Virginia, to John and Sara Winston Henry. He served as a delegate to the Continental Congress and Virginia Convention, governor of Virginia 1776-1779, 1784- 1786, and delegate to the Virginia Constitution Ratification Convention, 1788. He was married to Sarah Shelton and Dorothea Dandridge. He died 6 June 1799 at his home on Red Hill Plantation, Charlotte County, Virginia.
ContextContext of Letter, 1778 Jan. 2
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Letter, 1778 Jan. 2
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/EMDM3kG2OmM/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/EMDM3kG2OmM/">Letter, 1778 Jan. 2</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...