The Resource Staunton (Va.) Election Records and Tax and Fiscal Records, 1803-1879
- Staunton (Va.) Election Records and Tax and Fiscal Records, 1803-1879
- Inclusive dates
- Staunton (Va.) Election Records and Tax and Fiscal Records, 1803-1879, are arranged by local records series into election records and tax and fiscal records
- Election records consist of polls for election for mayor, recorder, aldermen, and councilmen (1831-1835, 1837-1839, 1848-1849, 1854-1857); mayor and sergeant (1858-1862); recorder, aldermen, and councilmen (1858-1860-1862, 1866); sergeant (1854-1857); commissioner of revenue (1855-1857, 1859-1861); commonwealth's attorney (1857, 1861); clerk (1859); watering of the town by iron pipes (1835-1836); lists of voters (1855); extention of town limits (1860); state senate and house of delegates (Ward 1, 1879); and subscription to Valley Railroad Company Stock (Ward 2, 1870)
- Tax and fiscal records consist of delinquent and insolvent tax lists, 1803-1833. The lists often contain information about where a person has moved if they have left the county and other information related to their finances and current location
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- The City of Staunton, in Augusta County, was named, according to tradition, for Rebecca Staunton, wife of Sir William Gooch, lieutenant governor of Virginia from 1727 to 1749. Staunton was laid out in 1748 at the site of the Augusta County courthouse and was established as a town in 1761. It was incorporated as a town in 1801 and as a city in 1871.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Staunton (Va.) Election Records and Tax and Fiscal Records, 1803-1879
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Staunton (Va.) Election Records and Tax and Fiscal Records, 1803-1879
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ERM7boRNPjg/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ERM7boRNPjg/">Staunton (Va.) Election Records and Tax and Fiscal Records, 1803-1879</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...