The Resource King George County (Va.) Marriages, 1786-1863
- King George County (Va.) Marriages, 1786-1863
- Inclusive dates
- Clergy. -- Virginia | King George County
- Marriage certificates -- Virginia | King George County
- Marriage. -- Virginia | King George County
- Local government records -- Virginia | King George County
- Ministers' returns -- Virginia | King George County
- King George County (Va.) -- History
- Marriage records -- Virginia | King George County
- Indexes (reference sources) -- Virginia | King George County
- Christian sects. -- Virginia | King George County
- Marriage registers -- Virginia | King George County
- King George County (Va.)
- King George County (Va.) Marriages, 1786-1863, are comprised of three separate sections. The first section, pages 1-69, 1786-1863, is a typescript index. This index contains the first and last names of both parties. It is arranged alphabetically from A-Y and in addition, lists alternate spellings of last names. This index is a resource for the next section of this volume. The second section, pages 1-45, 1786-1863, is a register of marriage licenses issued by the county clerk. The licenses are recorded alphabetically (A-Y) by year and date--only the first and last names of the parties are listed. The third section, pages 46-74, 1786-1850, is comprised of individual marriage certificates and ministers' returns. The marriage certificates record the names of both parties celebrating the rites of matrimony, the date of the marriage, the name of the minister who performed the ceremony and sometimes, the minister's religious denomination. The ministers' returns are made by individual ministers of marriages performed within the county. Sometimes, these returns are in the form of lists which record the names of all parties and the dates of the marriages
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- King George County was formed in 1720 from Richmond County. Part of Westmoreland County was added in 1777. The county was named in honor of George I of England.
- Prior to 1853, when the Commonwealth began recording vital statistics, Virginia marriages were recorded at the county or city level. Beginning in 1661, in order to be married by license, the groom was required to go before the county clerk and give bond with security that there was no lawful reason to prevent the marriage. The license, issued then by the clerk, was given to the minister who performed the service. Written consent from a parent or guardian was needed for individuals younger than twenty-one years.
- Until 1780, marriages could be performed only by ministers of the Established Church, who were required by law to record marriages in the parish register. In 1780, dissenting ministers (only four per county from each sect) were first permitted to perform marriage ceremonies. Ministers' returns were required by law beginning in 1780, so all marriages from that date would be of record in the county court clerk's office-- thereby creating an official record. Some ministers adopted a custom of making collected returns--a list of marriages performed within a period of time such as a year or several years.
- The King George County (Va.) marriages described in this collection were created by the County Court.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional King George County Marriage Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.
- King George County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional King George County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Collection at the Library of Virginia. Search the "Lost Records Localities Database" found at the Library of Virginia web site.
ContextContext of King George County (Va.) Marriages, 1786-1863
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work King George County (Va.) Marriages, 1786-1863
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/EZh3HmHg2kc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/EZh3HmHg2kc/">King George County (Va.) Marriages, 1786-1863</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...