The Resource The St. George Story : Bermuda's part in the Jamestown story, 1957 Feb. 16
- The St. George Story : Bermuda's part in the Jamestown story, 1957 Feb. 16
- Title remainder
- Bermuda's part in the Jamestown story
- Inclusive dates
- 1957 Feb. 16
- Re-enactment of the voyage of the Sea Venture, from its departure in England in June 1609 to its wreck in Bermuda after a hurricane and the settlement of Bermuda. Also includes a description of Bermuda's historic sites and its history from the settlement through the Civil War, and a ceremony featuring the Governor of Bermuda and Lieutenant-Governor of Virginia, A.E.S Stephens. The ceremony includes the dedication of a plaque commemorating the wreck of the Sea Venture and the voyage of the ships, Patience and Deliverance, built by the shipwrecked crew of the Sea Venture and sailed to Jamestown in May 1610 bringing much needed supplies, and a speech of Lt. Governor Stephens accepting replicas of the Patience and Deliverance
- Biographical or historical data
- In June 1609, the Virginia Company sent nine vessels to bring supplies and new colonists to the settlement at Jamestown. In July 1609, a hurricane battered the expedition resulting in the sinking of one ship and the wreck of the Sea Venture, the expedition's flagship, on Bermuda. The other seven ships made it to Jamestown. In May 1610, two ships, the Patience and Deliverance, built from the remnants of the Sea Venture and local cedar, sailed from Bermuda to Jamestown with much needed supplies. Four men were left behind to keep Bermuda inhabited. Bermuda became a permanent settlement in 1612.
- Cataloging source
- Format of music
- not applicable
- Funding information
- Reformatting was funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission
- Literary text for sound recordings
ContextContext of The St. George Story : Bermuda's part in the Jamestown story, 1957 Feb. 16
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The St. George Story : Bermuda's part in the Jamestown story, 1957 Feb. 16
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/EgD2DaJm5rY/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/EgD2DaJm5rY/">The St. George Story : Bermuda's part in the Jamestown story, 1957 Feb. 16</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...