The Resource 1865-1883
- Inclusive dates
- Church records -- North Carolina
- Methodists -- Virginia
- Methodist Episcopal Church
- Minute books
- Methodists -- Tennessee
- Membership lists
- Methodists -- North Carolina
- Tennessee -- Church history -- 19th century
- Church records -- Virginia
- Church records -- Tennessee
- North Carolina -- Church history -- 19th century
- Virginia -- Church history -- 19th century
- Records, 1865-1883, consisting of three volumes of annual session minutes that contain minutes, appointments, committee reports, resolutions, memorials, lists of attendees, and statistics. Volume I covers the period, 1 June 1865-4 October 1875. Volume II covers the period, 2 October 1872-20 October 1879. Volume III covers the period, 20 October 1880-19 October 1883. The first meeting recorded in Volume I concerns the reorganization of the Holston Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1865
- Biographical or historical data
- In 1844, the Methodist Episcopal Church was divided into northern and southern factions over the question of slavery. In 1845, the Methodist Episcopal Church, South was established and the Holston Conference voted to become part of it. During the Civil War, the Holston Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South dealt harshly with "Union" preachers, and the Southern Conference of 1862 expelled preachers disloyal to the Confederacy. These "Union" preachers convened in Knoxville, Tennessee at the Convention of 1864 and resolved to reorganize the Holston Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. On 1 June 1865, the Holston Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church was officially reorganized, thus creating two Holston Conferences for the same area. For more information see, METHODISM IN HOLSTON, by Isaac Patton Martin, 1945.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Location of originals duplicates
- Originals located at Kelly Library, Emory & Henry College, Emory, Virginia 24327.
ContextContext of 1865-1883
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1865-1883
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/EhHz3JTD0AY/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/EhHz3JTD0AY/">1865-1883</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...