The Resource 1776 May 18
- 1776 May 18
- Inclusive dates
- 1776 May 18
- Letter, dated 18 May 1776, from Thomas Ludwell Lee (1730-1778), representing Stafford County, Virginia, in the Fifth Virginia Convention to Richard Henry Lee (1732-1794), Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, concerning the passage of resolves by Virginia calling for independence. Thomas Lee informs his brother on the scene at the capitol during the vote. He also comments on the potential form of government for the new nation. A copy of the resolves (not found) had been included with the letter
- Cellulose acetate lamination.
- Additional physical form
- For a printed version see Southern Literary Messenger, vol. 27, p. 324-325.
- Biographical or historical data
- Thomas Ludwell Lee was born 13 December 1730 at "Stratford Hall" in Westmoreland County, Virginia, to Thomas Lee (1690-1750) and Hannah Harrison Ludwell Lee (1701-1750). He studied law at the Inner Temple in London, England. Lee returned to Virginia upon his parents' deaths in 1750, and represented Stafford County, Virginia, in the House of Burgesses from 1758 to 1765 and from 1775 to 1776. Active in revolutionary politics, Lee again represented Stafford County in the 3rd Virginia Convention (1775) and the 5th Virginia Convention (1776), where he was a member of the committee created to draft a bill of rights for Virginia's constitution. Lee sat for Stafford County in the first session of the House of Delegates in 1776, and in the Virginia Senate from 1777 until his death 13 April 1778.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
ContextContext of 1776 May 18
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1776 May 18
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Eh__IH2CR5c/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Eh__IH2CR5c/">1776 May 18</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...