The Resource Virginia Genealogical Society 50th Anniversary Celebration and Conference records, 2010 April 16-17
- Virginia Genealogical Society 50th Anniversary Celebration and Conference records, 2010 April 16-17
- Inclusive dates
- 2010 April 16-17
- Contains a program for the Virginia Genealogical Society (VGS) 50th Anniversary Celebration and Spring Conference, as well as a commemorative pin, and a certificate of honorary life membership in the the society for the Library of Virginia. Sandra G. Treadway, State Librarian, accepted the membership award on behalf of the Library. Many of the VGS 50th Anniversary Celebration and Spring 2010 Conference events took place at the Library of Virginia on April 16-17, 2010. The conference seminars focused on researching records in burned Virginia localities. Additionally, the banquet keynote address was given by former State Archivist, Conley L. Edwards
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Library of Virginia. (Search author as Library of Virginia).
- Biographical or historical data
- The Virginia Genealogical Society (VGS) was founded in 1960 with a mission to "promote and foster family history education and research, publish genealogical information, and share accumulated knowledge."
- The Virginia State Library was created by an act passed by the General Assembly on January 23, 1823, to establish a public library. From 1823 to 1828, the Library was under the control of the governor and council. In 1828, the General Assembly created a joint committee on the library to oversee its administration. The Secretary of the Commonwealth served ex officio as state librarian from 1832 to 1903. On May 15, 1903, the General Assembly passed an act that created a library board to administer the library, authorized the deposit of public records in the library, provided for the publication of historical records by the library, and established a library fund for the purchase of books and private papers. The Library Board, which was responsible for naming the State Librarian, was itself appointed by the Board of Education. The General Assembly passed an act on March 29, 1944, transferring the power to appoint the Library Board to the governor. The Virginia State Library adopted the name, the Virginia State Library and Archives, in early 1987 to more adequately reflect its mission and purpose today. In July 1, 1994 the name was changed to The Library of Virginia.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Virginia Genealogical Society 50th Anniversary Celebration and Conference records, 2010 April 16-17
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Virginia Genealogical Society 50th Anniversary Celebration and Conference records, 2010 April 16-17
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Epg8wDpRLFg/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Epg8wDpRLFg/">Virginia Genealogical Society 50th Anniversary Celebration and Conference records, 2010 April 16-17</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...