The Resource Petersburg (Va.) Police Court Docket, 1914-1928
- Petersburg (Va.) Police Court Docket, 1914-1928
- Inclusive dates
- Petersburg (Va.)
- Criminal court records -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Petersburg (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
- Criminal procedure. -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Local government records -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Registers (lists) -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Police. -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Judgments -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Petersburg (Va.) Police Court Docket, 1914-1928, records the activities of the police court and gives information about the name of the person charged, justice of the peace who dealt with the offense, and any fees or fines associated with the charge. Not recorded is the nature of the crime committed. There is no index
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Petersburg was formed from parts of Dinwiddie, Prince George, and Chesterfield counties. A garrison and fur trading post called Fort Henry was established in 1645 on the site of the Indian village of Appamattuck. The present name, suggested in 1733 by William Byrd II, honors Peter Jones, Byrd's companion on expeditions into the Virginia backcountry. Petersburg was established in 1748 and incorporated as a town in 1784. In the latter year the towns of Blandford, Pocahontas, and Ravenscroft were added to Petersburg. It was incorporated as a city in 1850. Petersburg was enlarged by annexation from both Prince George and Dinwiddie counties in 1972.
- Police Court was a city court that had jurisdiction in all petit criminal cases that involved only confinement in jail and smaller fines, including minor traffic violations, public-health nuisances, petty theft or assault, violations of city ordinances, and warrants for indebtedness. Persons arrested for greater criminal violations could begin their legal process at the Police Court and be referred on to higher courts for trial or other disposition of their case. The police justice was an elected city official.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Petersburg (Va.) Police Court Docket, 1914-1928
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Petersburg (Va.) Police Court Docket, 1914-1928
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/F2-y0dDnGeo/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/F2-y0dDnGeo/">Petersburg (Va.) Police Court Docket, 1914-1928</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...