The Resource 1759-1824
- Inclusive dates
- Correspondence of the Zane family, 1761-1825 (2 boxes, 1 v.); Isaac Zane's account book, 1761-1793, his daybook, 1759-1780, receipt books 1767-1769, 1780-1781, 1784-1790, (3 v.), 4 cataloges of the books belonging to Isaac Zane, 1791, and the inventory of Zane's possessions, 1794; a receipt book of Sarah Zane, 1796-1814; as well as a receipt book of Samuel Coates, executor of Zane's estate, 1821-1824
- Biographical or historical data
- Isaac Zane was born 6 July 1743 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the son Isaac Zane and Sarah Elfreth. Educated by private tutors, he entered his father's building contractor business. Zane moved to Frederick County, Virginia, apparently in 1756. In 1767, he bought a mill and established the Marlboro Iron Works. In 1773, he became a justice of the peace, and was elected to the House of Burgesses, where he served until its end in 1776. Zane also represented Frederick County in the First through Fifth Virginia Conventions. When the Revolution began, Zane produced munitions for the American cause, but was not paid for much of it and emerged from the conflict heavily in debt. Zane owned land in Shenandoah County, Virginia, and was appointed a lieutenant in its militia in 1794. The same year, he was appointed a brigadier-general in the Virginia militia. Zane represented Shenandoah County in the House of Delegates from 1782 to 1795. He never married, but had a son by his mistress of 20 years. Zane died 10 August 1795.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Location of originals duplicates
- Historical Society of Pennsylvania
ContextContext of 1759-1824
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1759-1824
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/F23fdi-884c/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/F23fdi-884c/">1759-1824</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...