The Resource Albemarle County (Va.) Marriage Bonds No. 1, 1780-1805
- Albemarle County (Va.) Marriage Bonds No. 1, 1780-1805
- Inclusive dates
- Albemarle County (Va.) Marriage Bonds No. 1, 1780-1805, records the bonds of marriage between a bride and groom within the county. This volume also contains an internal index, A-Y, which includes the names of both the groom and the bride. The names are arranged in the index according to the order in which they appear in the book
- Biographical or historical data
- Albemarle County was formed in 1744 from Goochland County. Parts of Louisa County were added in 1761 and 1838. The county was named for William Anne Keppel, second earl of Albemarle and governor of the Virginia colony from 1737 to 1754.
- Prior to 1853, when the Commonwealth began recording vital statistics, Virginia marriages were recorded at the county or city level. Beginning in 1661, in order to be married by license, the groom was required to go before the county clerk and give bond with security that there was no lawful reason to prevent the marriage. The license, issued then by the clerk, was given to the minister who performed the service. Written consent from a parent or guardian was needed for individuals younger than twenty-one years.
- The original marriage records, from which this volume was compiled, were created by the County Court.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Albemarle County Marriage Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.
- Albemarle County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional Albemarle County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Collection at the Library of Virginia. Search the "Lost Records Localities Database" found at the Library of Virginia web site.
ContextContext of Albemarle County (Va.) Marriage Bonds No. 1, 1780-1805
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Albemarle County (Va.) Marriage Bonds No. 1, 1780-1805
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/FefYLXJhxxQ/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/FefYLXJhxxQ/">Albemarle County (Va.) Marriage Bonds No. 1, 1780-1805</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...