The Resource Charles Steuart papers, 1758-1798
- Charles Steuart papers, 1758-1798
- Inclusive dates
- Title variation
- Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia.
- Title variation date
- Business records -- Virginia | Norfolk
- Virginia -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775
- American loyalists -- Virginia | Norfolk
- Steuart, Charles, 1725-1797
- Virginia -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Business records -- England | London
- Letters (correspondence)
- Steuart family
- Virginia -- History -- 18th Century
- Business records -- Virginia | Williamsburg
- The collection includes business, legal, and official correspondence from America to Steuart's legal office in London. Most of the correspondence comes from the Norfolk and Williamsburg areas in Virginia. The official correspondence is with customs officials, and especially Nathaniiel Coffin, Steueart's deputy in Boston. Also included are his legal accounts and receipts. Some of the correspondence is with family and friends in America and discusses the situation in the country before, during, and after the Revolution. There are also letters from loyalists, mainly from Norfolk
- Accessioned & Described
- Biographical or historical data
- Charles Steuart of Edinburgh, Scotland, was a lawyer with a legal office in London, England. He was for many years a merchant from Norfolk, Virginia and, during the Revolution, the Receiver General of Customs for the Eastern Middle District, American Board of Customs.
- Cataloging source
- Location of originals duplicates
- National Library of Scotland,
ContextContext of Charles Steuart papers, 1758-1798
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Charles Steuart papers, 1758-1798
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/FeixXgF4qZw/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/FeixXgF4qZw/">Charles Steuart papers, 1758-1798</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...