The Resource Lists of commissioned officers and applicants for military commissions, 1861
- Lists of commissioned officers and applicants for military commissions, 1861
- Inclusive dates
- Contains various lists probably prepared by the Advisory Council including a list of commissioned officers in the 2nd Virginia Brigade; lists of brigadier generals, colonels, lieutenant colonels, majors, chaplains, captains, 1st lieutenants, surgeons, & assistant surgeons of the Volunteer Forces in order of confirmation; a list of appointments advised by the Council in Volunteers & Provisional Army between 21 April & 7 May 1861; and a list of applicants for appointments between 2 Jan. & 30 April 1861 (includes name, place, date, for what appointment, & post office). The latter list includes applicants for appointments at large, applicants as military engineers, applicants for the Naval Department, applicants for the Army - artillery or infantry, applicants for the Navy, applicants for the Medical Department, applicants for Quartermaster's Department, and a list of companies which may be called into service
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Advisory Council. (Search Virginia Advisory Council as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- The enlarged council, which continued to be known as the "Council of Three", carried out the work of military mobilization. One of the council's major functions was to advise Letcher on the appointment of officers to Virginia forces. It also discussed ordnance, quartermaster and subsistence procurement, extension of railroad and telegraph lines, cooperation with neighboring southern states, assignment of surgeons and chaplains, and many naval matters. The final transfer of Virginia regiments into the Confederate army, together with a new confidence shown in Letcher by the convention, eliminated further need for the Advisory Council. On June 19, 1861, after ninety days of existence, the council adjourned for the last time.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Lists of commissioned officers and applicants for military commissions, 1861
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Lists of commissioned officers and applicants for military commissions, 1861
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/FesLe9jaHrU/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/FesLe9jaHrU/">Lists of commissioned officers and applicants for military commissions, 1861</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...