The Resource Speech before a special session of the Virginia General Assembly,, 1956 Aug. 27
- Speech before a special session of the Virginia General Assembly,, 1956 Aug. 27
- Inclusive dates
- 1956 Aug. 27
- Speech by Governor Thomas B. Stanley on 27 August 1956 to a special session of the Virginia General Assembly, convened for the purpose of passing the Massive Resistance laws designed to preserve Virginia's system of segregated schools. Calling the issue of integration the gravest problem facing Virginia since 1865, Stanley describes the purpose of the Massive Resistance Laws, commends the work of the Commission on Public Education, refers to the Interposition resolution the General Assembly passed in Feb. 1956, and outlines Virginia's reaction to the Supreme Court decision of 1954 from the beginning to the present. He declares that he supports full educational attainment for both races and intends to take all honorable, legal, and constitutional means to prevent the usurpation of states' rights
- Biographical or historical data
- Thomas Bahnson Stanley was born in Henry County, Virginia on 16 July 1890. From 1930 to 1946, he represented Henry County and Martinsville in the Virginia House of Delegates, serving as speaker of the house from 1942 to 1946. He was elected to the United States House of Representatives in 1946, serving until 1953, the same year he was elected Governor of Virginia. Stanley died in Martinsville, Virginia on 10 July 1970.
- Cataloging source
- Format of music
- not applicable
- Funding information
- Reformatting was funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission
- Literary text for sound recordings
- lectures speeches
ContextContext of Speech before a special session of the Virginia General Assembly,, 1956 Aug. 27
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Speech before a special session of the Virginia General Assembly,, 1956 Aug. 27
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Foy46_d-NAs/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Foy46_d-NAs/">Speech before a special session of the Virginia General Assembly,, 1956 Aug. 27</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...