The Resource Miscellaneous Winchester and Frederick County military service records, 1859, 1916-1946
- Miscellaneous Winchester and Frederick County military service records, 1859, 1916-1946
- Inclusive dates
- 1859, 1916-1946
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Registers of dead -- Virginia
- United States
- Virginia Conservation Commission
- Frederick County (Va.) -- History -- World War, 1939-1945
- Winchester (Va.) -- History -- World War, 1939-1945
- Confederate States of America
- Death registers
- Personal papers -- Virginia | Winchester
- Personal papers -- Virginia | Frederick County
- Virginia -- Armed forces | Registers of dead
- Virginia -- History -- 1933-1945
- Records, 1941-1946, consisting of World War II Personal War Service Records of Virginia's War Dead, World War II honor rolls, lists of World War II honor roll members, and World War II newspaper clippings, all concerning Winchester and Frederick County, Virginia, soldiers. There are also some military orders, 1916-1917, issued by officers of the 2nd Infantry, Virginia Volunteers, Company I, and a Continental Morgan Guard armory book, 1859
- The Personal War Service Records of Virginia's War Dead are individual questionnaires completed by the family members of Winchester and Frederick County residents killed during World War II. These three page questionnaires record personal and military data including soldier's full name, home address at time of enlistment, birth date and place, race, height, weight, spouse's name, date and place of marriage, name and date of birth of children, education, religious affiliation, mother and father's name, date and place of enlistment, induction or commission, branch of service, prior military service, where trained or stationed, promotions, military honors, circumstances of death (including date and place) and the next of kin. Photographs, letters, newspaper clippings and military service records often accompany the questionnaires. These questionnaires are arranged alphabetically by surname
- The World War II honor rolls are questionnaires completed by family members of Winchester and Frederick County soldiers enlisted in the military service during the years 1941-1946. Includes soldier's name, date of enlistment, address at time of enlistment, age, service branch, location in the service, civilian occupation, transfers, promotions, commissions, citations, or other awards and the date awarded. These honor rolls are arranged alphabetically by soldiers' surname
- Newspaper clippings, 1941-1946, include notices of soldiers' awards and enlistments, stories comprising updates from family members on soldiers' overseas activities, and obituaries. Some newspaper clippings are contained within the Personal War Service Records of Virginia's War Dead and honor roll questionnaires, while other clippings exist separately from the questionnaires. The separated clippings are arranged alphabetically by surname
- Biographical or historical data
- The Personal War Service Record of Virginia's War Dead was compiled in 1945 and 1946 by the Virginia Conservation Commission, Division of History, for the Virginia World War II History Commission.
- Cataloging source
- Location of originals duplicates
- Originals, which are owned by the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society, are located in Handley Regional Library in Winchester, Virginia.
ContextContext of Miscellaneous Winchester and Frederick County military service records, 1859, 1916-1946
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Miscellaneous Winchester and Frederick County military service records, 1859, 1916-1946
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/FsCdJmnP0s0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/FsCdJmnP0s0/">Miscellaneous Winchester and Frederick County military service records, 1859, 1916-1946</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...