The Resource Orange County (Va.) Deed of Emancipation, 1784 Mar. 27
- Orange County (Va.) Deed of Emancipation, 1784 Mar. 27
- Inclusive dates
- 1784 Mar. 27
- Orange County (Va.) Deed of Emancipation, 1784 Mar. 27, liberating Presilar, age 24, and Sarah, age 22, from Thomas Coppedge. The deed (photocopy) is worded as follows: "I Thomas Coppedge of Orange County from a deliberate consideration and conviction of my own mind am willing to fulfil that injunction of our Lord do unto all men as I would they should do unto me and having under my care one negro woman named Presiler twenty four years old and one ditto named Sarah twenty two years old, I do now for myself and my heirs release and discharge from being my property hereafter forever the above named negroes."
- Biographical or historical data
- Orange County, according to most accounts, was named for William of Orange, the Dutch prince who became William III of England in 1688. It is more probable, however, that the name honored William IV, prince of Orange-Nassau, who married Anne, eldest daughter of George II, in 1734-the year Orange County was named from Spotsylvania County.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- The original deed is located in the Amherst County Chancery Cause 1815-003. Additional Orange County Free Negro and Slave Records can be found on microfilm at The Library of Virginia web site. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm."
ContextContext of Orange County (Va.) Deed of Emancipation, 1784 Mar. 27
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Orange County (Va.) Deed of Emancipation, 1784 Mar. 27
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/G2lYP6gg6lQ/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/G2lYP6gg6lQ/">Orange County (Va.) Deed of Emancipation, 1784 Mar. 27</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...