The Resource Military service exemption fines, : certificates and powers of attorney, 1862-1863
- Military service exemption fines, : certificates and powers of attorney, 1862-1863
- Title remainder
- certificates and powers of attorney
- Inclusive dates
- Society of Friends -- Virginia | History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. -- Virginia
- Conscientious objectors -- Virginia
- Brethren (Church of the Brethren) -- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Mennonites -- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Conscientious objectors
- State government records -- Virginia
- Fines (Penalties) -- Virginia
- Powers of attorney
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Administration of State Government: Revenue Assessment and Collection - Fines. General Records
- Contains certificates and powers of attorney regarding military service exemptions and fines paid
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) (Search as Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928))
- Biographical or historical data
- On 29 March 1862 the General Assembly passed an act granting exemptions on religious grounds for persons who paid a fine of $500. Those who did not pay the fine were required to work as teamsters. On 19 January 1863 the General Assembly authorized the auditor to reimburse those who had paid the fines.
- The persons exempted from military service on religious grounds were members of the Church of the Brethren, the Mennonite Church, or the Society of Friends. This series documents pacifism in Virginia during the Civil War; the powers of attorney identify members of denominations for which few records have survived.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 472
- Citation source
- Auditor of Public Accounts inventory
ContextContext of Military service exemption fines, : certificates and powers of attorney, 1862-1863
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Military service exemption fines, : certificates and powers of attorney, 1862-1863
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/G4Fvqi4RguY/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/G4Fvqi4RguY/">Military service exemption fines, : certificates and powers of attorney, 1862-1863</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...