The Resource Louisa County (Va.) Register of Licenses for Marriage, 1850-1861
- Louisa County (Va.) Register of Licenses for Marriage, 1850-1861
- Inclusive dates
- Louisa County (Va.) Register of Licenses for Marriage, 1850-1861, records the marriage licenses issued by the clerk of Louisa County Court. This register includes the date of the license, the name of the male to be married and the name of the female to be married. In addition to the chronological listing of the licenses, the volume is organized by the last letter, A-Y, of the intended groom's surname
- Biographical or historical data
- Louisa County was formed from Hanover County in 1742. The county was named for Louisa, a daughter of King George II.
- Prior to 1853, when the Commonwealth began recording vital statistics, Virginia marriages were recorded at the county or city level. Beginning in 1661, in order to be married by license, the groom was required to go before the county clerk and give bond with security that there was no lawful reason to prevent the marriage. Written consent from a parent or guardian was needed for individuals younger than twenty-one years. The license, issued then by the clerk, was given to the minister who performed the service. Once the service was performed, the minister submitted a return to the county clerk. The county clerk recorded these returns along with other marriage records, such as bonds, certificates and licenses, in a marriage register.
- The original marriage licenses, from which this volume was compiled, were created by the County Court.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- This volume is located at the State Records Center. Contact Archives Research Services for access information, directions and hours.
- Additional Louisa County Marriage Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.
ContextContext of Louisa County (Va.) Register of Licenses for Marriage, 1850-1861
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Louisa County (Va.) Register of Licenses for Marriage, 1850-1861
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/GDTxpW2pdSQ/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/GDTxpW2pdSQ/">Louisa County (Va.) Register of Licenses for Marriage, 1850-1861</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...