The Resource 1913-1980
- Inclusive dates
- Business enterprises. -- Virginia | Northumberland County
- Land subdivision -- Virginia | Northumberland County
- Northumberland County (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
- Local government records -- Virginia | Northumberland County
- Deeds -- Virginia | Northumberland County
- Northumberland County (Va.)
- Land records -- Virginia | Northumberland County
- Chancery causes -- Virginia | Northumberland County
- African Americans -- History
- Estates (Law) -- Virginia | Northumberland County
- Northumberland County (Va.) -- Genealogy. -- Genealogy
- Debt -- Virginia | Northumberland County
- Plats -- Virginia | Northumberland County
- Divorce suits -- Virginia | Northumberland County
- Judicial records -- Virginia | Northumberland County
- Wills -- Virginia | Northumberland County
- Equity. -- Virginia | Northumberland County
- Northumberland County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1913-1980, are indexed into the Chancery Records Index. Cases are identified by style of suit consisting of plaintiff and defendant names. Surnames of others involved in a suit, including secondary plaintiffs and defendants, witnesses, deponents and affiants, and family members with surnames different from the plaintiff or defendant are indexed. Chancery causes often involved the following: divisions of estates or land, disputes over wills, divorces, debt, and business disputes. Predominant documents found in chancery causes include bills (plaintiff's complaint), answers (defendant's response), decrees (court's decision), depositions, affidavits, correspondence, lists of heirs, deeds, wills, business records, or vital statistics, among other items. Plats, if present, are noted, as are wills from localities with an incomplete record of wills or localities other than the one being indexed
- Chancery causes are useful when researching local history, genealogical information, and land or estate divisions. They are a valuable source of local, state, social, and legal history and serve as a primary source for understanding a locality's history
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Chancery Causes are cases of equity. According to Black's Law Dictionary they are "administered according to fairness as contrasted with the strictly formulated rules of common law." A judge, not a jury, determines the outcome of the case.
- Northumberland County probably was named for the English county. It was formed about 1645 from the district of Chickacoan, the early-seventeenth-century name for the region between the Potomac and the Rappahannock rivers.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Northumberland County (Va.) Chancery Causes
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Northumberland County Court Records can be found on microfilm at The Library of Virginia web site. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm."
- Digital images of pre-1913 Northumberland County Chancery Causes are available on the Library of Virginia's Chancery Records Index.
- See the Library of Virginia's Chancery Records Index for the chancery records of other Virginia localities.
ContextContext of 1913-1980
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1913-1980
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/GDxvl-nQuUQ/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/GDxvl-nQuUQ/">1913-1980</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...