The Resource "The Walkerton Bridge,", 1993
- "The Walkerton Bridge,", 1993
- Inclusive dates
- DVD containing the history and current conditions (as of 1993) of what would become known as the Walkerton Bridge. The Walkerton Bridge crossed the Mattaponi River to connect King and Queen County and King William County, along State Route 629. The original bridge was built in 1904, but was replaced in 1936. The newer bridge was of "swing span" construction, sat on wood pilings, and was cranked by hand to let water traffic pass. The 1936 Walkerton Bridge was one of Virginia Deptartment of Transportation's (VDOT) first swing span bridges. The bridge was in poor condition at the time of the DVD creation, and was slated for replacement by the mid-1990s. The DVD purportedly shows the bridge in action for the final time. The DVD was created by VDOT's Environmental Division, as well as the Office of Public Affairs, Visual Communications Center
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Dept. of Transportation. (Search Virginia Dept. of Transportation as author).
- Additional physical form
- Also available on video tape.
- Biographical or historical data
- On March 12, 1904, the General Assembly passed an act providing regulations for the establishment, construction, and improvement of public roads, bridges, wharves, and landings. Previously, the county and city governments had enjoyed relative freedom in such matters. The agency began as the State Highway Commission, which evovled into two entities, the Virginia Department of Transportation and the Commonwealth Transportation Board. Together the two are responsible for locating routes, letting construction contracts, creating traffic regulations, naming highways, gathering and tabulating information and statistics, entering into contracts with other states, and administering and allocating the Transportation Trust Fund. The Board is also responsible for coordinating the planning for the financing of transportation needs, including the needs for highways, railways, seaports, airports and public transportation.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of "The Walkerton Bridge,", 1993
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work "The Walkerton Bridge,", 1993
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/GqbVFXwuco8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/GqbVFXwuco8/">"The Walkerton Bridge,", 1993</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...