The Resource Norfolk County (Va.) Wills, 1744-1910
- Norfolk County (Va.) Wills, 1744-1910
- Inclusive dates
- Slaves -- Virginia | Norfolk County
- Slaveholders. -- Virginia | Norfolk County
- Land subdivision -- Virginia | Norfolk County
- Wills -- Virginia | Norfolk County
- African Americans -- History
- Norfolk County (Va.) -- History
- Estates (Law) -- Virginia | Norfolk County
- Chesapeake (Va.)
- Local government records -- Virginia | Norfolk County
- Chesapeake (Va.) -- History
- Norfolk County (Va.) Wills, 1744-1910, record the deceased's plan for how his or her estate was to be divided among his or her heirs following his or her death. Information commonly recorded in wills include the name of the deceased, also referred as the testator; names of heirs; a listing of real and personal property (including slaves) and how it was to be divided among the heirs; names of individuals who were to be the will's executors; the date will was written; and the date will was recorded at the court house. Additional record types may be found in this collection such as fiduciary records (inventories and accounts.) Individuals dying with a written will died testate. After the death of an individual, his or her will was brought into court, where two of the subscribing witnesses swore that the document was genuine. After the will was proved, the executor was bonded to carry out his or her duties to settle the estate. The court then ordered the will to be recorded
- Biographical or historical data
- Norfolk County (extinct) probably was named by Adam Thoroughgood, a local resident, from his native county in England. It was formed from Lower Norfolk County in 1691. Norfolk County became extinct in 1963, when it was consolidated with the city of South Norfolk to form the city of Chesapeake.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Norfolk County Wills can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found at the Library of Virginia web site.
ContextContext of Norfolk County (Va.) Wills, 1744-1910
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Norfolk County (Va.) Wills, 1744-1910
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/H3X8Nq9GUZU/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/H3X8Nq9GUZU/">Norfolk County (Va.) Wills, 1744-1910</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...