The Resource Delinquent and insolvent taxpayers, : returns, 1781-1830
- Delinquent and insolvent taxpayers, : returns, 1781-1830
- Title remainder
- Inclusive dates
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Administration of State Government: Revenue Assessment and Collection - Delinquent Taxes
- This series contains lists of delinquent land and personal property taxpayers. Of genealogical significance are the lists that note removals to other counties and states. Items cover the following dates: 1781-1809, 1830, and n.d
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) (Search as Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928))
- Biographical or historical data
- During its session begun in November 1781 the General Assembly passed acts concerning land and personal property taxes that made it the duty of each sheriff to return a list of delinquent or insolvent taxpayers to the county court; an attested copy was sent to the auditor of public accounts.
- Beginning in 1786 the General Assembly required commissioners of the revenue to make four identical tax lists, one of which was to be sent to the solicitor's office. Lists of insolvent taxpayers returned by sheriffs to county courts were to be transmitted by the court clerks to the commissioners to be entered in their books. Sheriffs were not to be credited for insolvents unless they were certified by the commissioners and allowed by the courts. The commissioners were to send to the auditor, in addition to the insolvent lists, lists of taxpayers who had moved away, including the names of the counties to which they had removed. The auditors were to send copies of these lists to the commissioners of the counties to which taxpayers had removed to be collected by the sheriff there.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 427
- Citation source
- Auditor of Public Accounts inventory
ContextContext of Delinquent and insolvent taxpayers, : returns, 1781-1830
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Delinquent and insolvent taxpayers, : returns, 1781-1830
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/H4w71U1_Ids/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/H4w71U1_Ids/">Delinquent and insolvent taxpayers, : returns, 1781-1830</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...