The Resource Governor's Office Files Pertaining to the Edith Maxwell Murder Trial, 1935-1941
- Governor's Office Files Pertaining to the Edith Maxwell Murder Trial, 1935-1941
- Inclusive dates
- Contains photocopies of letters, petitions, and newspaper clippings written to, sent to, and collected by Governors George C. Peery and James H. Price regarding the murder trial and conviction of Edith Maxwell. Also included is a copy of Edith Maxwell's application for a pardon. The location of the original documents is unknown
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Governor's Office. (Search author as Virginia Governor's Office).
- Biographical or historical data
- Edith Maxwell lived in Pound, Wise County, Virginia with her parents and two younger sisters and worked as a teacher. On 20 July 1935, she returned home late from a date and was threatened by her father, Trigg Maxwell. A fight ensued and Trigg later died, supposedly after a blow to the head with a shoe. Edith was convicted of murder by a jury of twelve men on 19 November 1935 and sentenced to twenty-five years in prison. Her level of education, personal appearance, and "outsider" ways were out of line with cultural norms in western Virginia and factored heavily in her conviction. Edith's case received national interest and publicity. Her conviction was appealed several times, eventually leading to her pardon in 1941.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Governor's Office Files Pertaining to the Edith Maxwell Murder Trial, 1935-1941
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Governor's Office Files Pertaining to the Edith Maxwell Murder Trial, 1935-1941
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/HEiewF6WdRM/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/HEiewF6WdRM/">Governor's Office Files Pertaining to the Edith Maxwell Murder Trial, 1935-1941</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...