The Resource Henrico County (Va.) Record of Convicts, 1870-1944
- Henrico County (Va.) Record of Convicts, 1870-1944
- Inclusive dates
- African Americans -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Decisions -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Justices of the peace. -- Virginia | Henrico County
- African American prisoners -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Prisoners. -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Registers (lists) -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Public records -- Virginia | Henrico County
- African Americans -- Employment -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Crime. -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Racially mixed people. -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Henrico County (Va.)
- African Americans -- History -- 1877-1964
- Occupations -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Henrico County (Va.) -- History
- Order books -- Virginia | Henrico County
- African Americans -- History -- 1863-1877
- Criminal court records -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Minute books -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Henrico County (Va.) Record of Convicts, 1870-1944, is a comprehensive register of "every person convicted in the County Court or other Court of Record of Henrico County, of Felony, or other infamous offence." Based on a form, the listings of each conviction include the individual's name in full and any aliases, the present and last known residence of the accused, the color or race of the individual (including white, black or colored, brown and mulatto), the individual's height, eye color, hair color and any identifying marks, the apparent or known age of the accused, his or her occupation, the offence, the court in which convicted, the date of conviction and page of record and whether the judgment was reversed or pardon granted and date thereof. There is an internal index to the volume. The index is arranged alphabetically by the surname of the convict, A-Z and notes the race of the individual in parentheses. Instead of a court conviction, sometimes an individual was convicted by a Justice of the Peace
- Biographical or historical data
- Henrico County was one of the eight original shires, or counties, enumerated in 1634. The county was named for Henry, Prince of Wales, eldest son of James I.
- During the 1869-1870 session, the General Assembly passed an"Act to Secure Identification of Persons Convicted of Criminal Offences." On 2 November 1870, the act was approved. The act specified that "every clerk of the court of each county and corporation shall keep a register of full and accurate descriptive lists of every person convicted in his own or any other court of record of his county or corporation, of felony or other infamous offence, and a duly certified and attested copy of any such descriptive list may be used as prima facie evidence of the facts therein stated in any question of identity. Such registers shall be kept written up, well indexed, and shall be open to public inspection at reasonable hours. The register shall follow a set form and each descriptive list shall be attested by said clerk."
- In addition, "the clerk of every court of record of each county or corporation, other than the county or corporation court, shall within ten days from the date of conviction of any person in his court of any offence mentioned in the first section of this act, deliver to the clerk of the county or corporation court, for record in said register, an attested descriptive list of the person so convicted, in the form hereinbefore prescribed." The judges of the respective courts are responsible for seeing that the provisions of the act are "punctually and properly carried out" by their respective clerks. The act was amended on 18 January 1871 and outlined the following: "For the services mentioned in this or the first section of this act, the clerk shall be entitled to a fee of fifty cents, to be paid out of the state treasury." By and large, the county and circuit court clerks went about compiling these registers throughout the counties of Virginia as late as the 1960s.
- Order books and/or Minute books record all matters brought before the court when it was in session and may contain important information not found anywhere else. A wide variety of information is found in order/mintute books-including individuals convicted of felonies.
- This original register was created by the County and Circuit Courts.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- This volume is located at the State Records Center. Contact Archives Research Services for access information, directions and hours.
- Additional Henrico County Court Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.
- Henrico County is one of Virginia's Lost Record Localities. Additional Henrico County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Collection at the Library of Virginia. Search the "Lost Records Localities Database" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.
ContextContext of Henrico County (Va.) Record of Convicts, 1870-1944
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Henrico County (Va.) Record of Convicts, 1870-1944
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/HU6QE-w-VeE/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/HU6QE-w-VeE/">Henrico County (Va.) Record of Convicts, 1870-1944</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...