The Resource James A. Davis papers, 1847-1973
- James A. Davis papers, 1847-1973
- Inclusive dates
- Davis, James A, 1825-1898
- Personal papers
- College teachers. -- Virginia -- History -- 19th century
- Kennedy, James L, 1857-1942
- Davis family
- Emory and Henry College -- History -- 19th century
- Waterhouse, R. G, 1855-1922
- Account books
- Ball family
- Papers, 1847-1973, of Emory & Henry College professor James A. Davis (1825-1898) chiefly contain account books, as well as sermons and instructional notes. Other items include an account book belonging to Emory & Henry President R. G. Waterhouse (1855-1922); a small number of notes and letters written by J. L. Kennedy (1857-1942), a missionary to Brazil; a handful of legal documents (deeds, indentures, etc.) related to the Davis family; Davis family genealogical notes; biographical and autobiographical information about James A. Davis; scattered correspondence; and items, 1914-1973, pertaining to Davis's Ball family descendants. Of note is Davis's "Then and Now: An Autobiographical Sketch by James A. Davis, Professor Emeritus of the Natural Sciences," which was written with the intent to record not only his own history, but that of the early days of Emory & Henry College
- Biographical or historical data
- James A. Davis was born at Pleasant Hill, Smyth County, Virginia, on 12 April 1825, the son of Major Joseph W. Davis and Lucy Eldridge Armstrong Davis. He graduated from Emory & Henry College in 1845, and returned in 1846 as a tutor. Davis became principal of the Preparatory Department in 1849, and chair of Natural Sciences in 1856. Save for two years spent at Martha Washington Female College in Abingdon, he held the latter position (later as professor emeritus) until his death. A licensed preacher, he was a member of the Holston Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. After the death of first wife Jane P. Baker (married in 1850), Davis married Sarah J. Smith in 1852. He died on 30 June 1898, survived by his wife and two of his children.
- Cataloging source
- Location of originals duplicates
- Emory & Henry College Archives, Emory, Va.
ContextContext of James A. Davis papers, 1847-1973
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work James A. Davis papers, 1847-1973
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/HoYlZXENLrA/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/HoYlZXENLrA/">James A. Davis papers, 1847-1973</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...