The Resource 1824-1858
- Inclusive dates
- Painters -- Economic conditions
- Painters -- Diaries -- Virginia
- Expatriate artists -- Italy
- Diaries -- Virginia
- Painters -- Diaries -- Italy
- Voyages and travel -- Italy
- Painting -- Prices
- Personal papers -- Italy
- Chapman, J. G., (John Gadsby), 1808-1889
- Diaries -- Italy
- Personal papers -- Virginia
- Artists -- United States
- Drawing -- Study and teaching
- Personal papers -- New York (N.Y.)
- Italy -- Travel and description
- Painters -- Social conditions -- Italy
- Drawing and drawing techniques
- Ledgers (account books)
- Memoranda, cash receipts, ledger, journal, sketch books, agenda, and a published volume THE AMERICAN DRAWING BOOK (New York, Redfield,1858) by American artist J.G. Chapman (1808-1889).
- The first Sketchbook, 1831, includes drawings in pencil, brown ink, watercolor, and oil paint. The second sketch book, 1834, 1848, 1850, n.d., contains pencil drawings as well as singular notes and account entries
- The Agenda, 1 Jan. - 31 Dec. 1853 records daily events and activities. A list of expenditures and a count of days spent with work, family affairs, illness, vacation, etc., can be found at the end of the volume. Overall the agenda gives a good impression of the day to day life of an artist in Rome, Italy, at the time
- The 1858 edition of Chapman's THE AMERICAN DRAWING BOOK: A MANUAL FOR THE AMATEUR AND BASIS OF STUDY FOR THE PROFESSIONAL ARTIST: ESPECIALLY ADAPTED TO THE USE OF PUBLIC AND PRIVATE SCHOOLS, AS WELL AS HOME INSTRUCTION, New York, J.S. Redfield, contains undated handwritten annotations and corrections. The only dated entry, 1859, remarks, that the changes were not intended for the American edition
- Accessioned 12/08/99.
- Biographical or historical data
- John Gadsby Chapman was born in Alexandria, Virginia, in 1808. He traveled to Europe in 1828, and after a two year stay in Italy, returned to Alexandria in 1831. He settled in New York in 1834. Chapman was an important illustrator of his time; he was also known for his portrait and landscpae paintings. In 1850 Chapman moved his family to Rome, Italy. After 1870, financial and health problems plagued the Chapman family. Impoverished and in ill health, J.G. Chapman returned to the U.S. in 1884. He died in New York (N.Y.) in 1889.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Summary expansion
- The Memoranda volume (1824-1838) contains both private notes and entries documenting the creation and sales of Chapman's artwork. The back of the volume was used to record cash receipts for pictures, 1828-1836. The Ledger "Private," 1824-1852, is an indexed volume listing paintings and drawings by year, noting the price and sometimes the customer. It also includes business and personal accounts. In the Journal, 1828-1831(?), J.G. Chapman recorded his impressions of his first trip to Italy. The various chapters are headed: From New York to Rome, July 15 - Sept. 23, 1828; From Rome to Florence by the Way of Siena, July 11-16, 1829; from Florence to Rome by the Way of Perugia, Oct. 12-17, 1829; Rome to Naples, July [1830?]; and Florence to Venice, May 19 [1831?]
ContextContext of 1824-1858
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1824-1858
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/IC6GnZ72eig/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/IC6GnZ72eig/">1824-1858</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...