The Resource 1934-1960
- Inclusive dates
- Plats -- Virginia | Russell County
- Land subdivision -- Virginia | Russell County
- Land records -- Virginia | Russell County
- Judicial records -- Virginia | Russell County
- Business enterprises. -- Virginia | Russell County
- Russell County (Va.) -- Genealogy -- Genealogy
- Deeds -- Virginia | Russell County
- Russell County (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
- Debt -- Virginia | Russell County
- African Americans -- History
- Local government records -- Virginia | Russell County
- Chancery causes -- Virginia | Russell County
- Wills -- Virginia | Russell County
- Equity. -- Virginia | Russell County
- Russell County (Va.)
- Estates (Law) -- Virginia | Russell County
- Divorce suits -- Virginia | Russell County
- Russell County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1934-1960, are indexed into the Chancery Records Index. Cases are identified by style of suit consisting of plaintiff and defendant names. Surnames of others involved in a suit, including secondary plaintiffs and defendants, witnesses, deponents and affiants, and family members with surnames different from the plaintiff or defendant are indexed. Chancery causes often involved the following: divisions of estates or land, disputes over wills, divorces, debt, and business disputes. Predominant documents found in chancery causes include bills (plaintiff's complaint), answers (defendant's response), decrees (court's decision), depositions, affidavits, correspondence, lists of heirs, deeds, wills, business records, or vital statistics, among other items. Plats, if present, are noted, as are wills from localities with an incomplete record of wills or localities other than the one being indexed
- Chancery causes are useful when researching local history, genealogical information, and land or estate divisions. They are a valuable source of local, state, social, and legal history and serve as a primary source for understanding a locality's history
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Circuit Court. Browse search: Isle of Wight County (Va.) Circuit Court.
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Chancery Causes are cases of equity. According to Black's Law Dictionary they are "administered according to fairness as contrasted with the strictly formulated rules of common law." A judge, not a jury, determines the outcome of the case.
- Russell County was named for William Russell, a Clinch Valley pioneer and the member of the House of Delegates who introduced the legislation forming the county from Washington County in 1786.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Russell County (Va.) Chancery Causes
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Russell County Court Records can be found on microfilm at The Library of Virginia web site. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm."
- See the Chancery Records Index found on the Library of Virginia web site for the chancery records of other Virginia localities.
- Digital images of pre-1934 Russell County Chancery Causes are available on the Chancery Records Index found on the Library of Virginia web site.
ContextContext of 1934-1960
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1934-1960
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Igtz8qZ6q3M/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Igtz8qZ6q3M/">1934-1960</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...