The Resource 1861-1893
- Inclusive dates
- Contains correspondence regarding requests for clemency, the appointment of government officials, and a labor dispute in Pulaski, Virginia
- Biographical or historical data
- Born on 17 Mar 1832 in Buckingham County, Philip Watkins McKinney graduated from Hampden-Sydney College and Washington College. In 1857, McKinney was elected to the General Assembly. In 1861, McKinney left his elected post, enlisting in the Confederate army. He was the Commander of Company K of the 4th Cavalry of the Army of Northern Virginia. McKinney was seriously wounded in the battle at Brandy Station, suffering a serious leg injury that left him with a permanent limp. In 1864, McKinney returned to the General Assembly until the end of the war.
- In 1889, McKinney was elected governor, taking office on 1 January 1890. Notable achievements during his term as governor include the settling of Virginia's debt and increased focus on economy in government, education, and veteran's pensions.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of 1861-1893
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1861-1893
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/J-bGO_dUKBk/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/J-bGO_dUKBk/">1861-1893</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...