The Resource Miscellaneous records, 1861-1865.
- Miscellaneous records, 1861-1865.
- Inclusive dates
- Public records -- Virginia
- Davis, Shelton C
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Participation, African American
- Slaves -- Virginia -- 19th century
- Thornton, Alfred
- Forms (documents)
- African Americans -- Virginia. -- 19th century
- Poore, Robert H
- Confederate States of America
- State government records -- Virginia
- Slave records. -- Virginia
- Letters (correspondence)
- Poore, Janetta
- Confederate States of America -- African American troops
- Banks and banking -- Virginia -- 19th century
- Legislative bodies. -- Virginia. -- Voting
- Resolutions (adminsitrative records)
- Virginia, (1861 :
- Collier, Robert R., (Robert Ruffin), 1805-1870
- Contains various materials as follows: Virginia Senate Journal, 1864-1865; Ordinances adopted by the Convention of Virginia at the Adjourned Session November and December 1861 [printed]; Orders from the Virginia Senate to fill the vacancy in the 6th senatorial district by the resignation of Robert R. Collier, 1865; Paperwork regarding the sale of a slave named Alfred Thornton from Janetta B. Poore, executrix of the estate of Robert H. Poore, including bill of sale to Shelton C. Davis and Davis' instructions regarding Thornton following Davis' death; Roll call vote form from the Confederate States Senate, Second Session of the Second Congress; Proposed resolution by the General Assembly regarding banks and currency dated March 1865; Document number 36 - Report in favor of the Enlistment of Slaves under certain restrictions, 1865; and an undated resolution regarding the preservation of public records, archives and libraries
- Biographical or historical data
- The legislative branch of government in Virginia is the oldest of its kind in the Western Hemisphere, tracing its lineage to the first meeting of the Grand Assembly of governor, councilors, and burgesses at Jamestown on July 30, 1619. Beginning with the session convened on March 2, 1643, an assembly was constituted with a House of Burgesses modeled after the House of Commons in Parliament, with the governor's Council serving as the upper house. Upon adoption of the first state constitution in 1776, the General Assembly was restructured to consist of the House of Delegates and the Senate. The General Assembly is composed of 40 Senators, elected every four years and 100 delegates, elected every two years, who formulate and enact laws in the Commonwealth. Major activities of the state legislature include representing citizens in the formulation of public policy, enacting statutory laws providing a statutory and financial basis for all government actions, electing judicial officers, and confirming executive appointments of the governor.
- In the General Assembly, members of the House of Delegates and the Senate vote on legislation entered during the legislative sessions. Legislative bills can originate in either the House or the Senate, with both chambers having the ability to establish study committees. Each house serves as a check on the other to ensure a thorough debate on the merits of each bill. Currently the General Assembly holds annual sessions, alternately of thirty or sixty days' duration.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Miscellaneous records, 1861-1865.
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Miscellaneous records, 1861-1865.
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/J8m7Ww1j_r8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/J8m7Ww1j_r8/">Miscellaneous records, 1861-1865.</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...